America Makes Announces Call for AM ProjectsAugust 10, 2021
America Makes announced a new Rapid Innovation Call (RIC) for projects worth $500,000 in total funding from the Air Force Research Laboratory, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Manufacturing and Industrial Base Technology Division, to further advance the maturation of additive manufacturing (AM) technologies.
This RIC will address needs in six topic domains:
- Understanding build interruptions via AM-monitoring methods. The focus here: understand AM build interruptions via in-situ monitoring methods as current monitoring research often focuses on continuous operations of AM processes.
- AM part families for product qualification and certification (Q&C), which seeks to leverage existing AM data to create AM part families to increase the amount validated AM data within the public domain and develop Q&C standards.
- Defect detection and mitigation via hybrid AM, through application of hybrid AM approaches to remedy various AM material and product defects.
- Characterization of transient phenomena impacting in-situ molten-pool temperature measurement for AM of reactive metals, via advancement of in-situ molten-pool temperature measurement for AM of reactive metals.
- Advancing lightweight design for AM of thin walls and struts, to support lightweight design methods of AM thin walls and struts by advancing the processability of these structures.
- Internet of Things (IoT) technologies to enhance AM product performance, by gaining a greater understanding of how to best leverage IoT technologies to benefit AM processes.
All participants must be America Makes members, and the submission deadline is September 2, 2021, before 5 p.m. EDT. Expect award announcements on September 20,2021.
Click here for more RIC information, details and participant guidelines.
See also: America Makes